Friday, January 6, 2012

Why Shop Early for Birthdays and Holidays?

You know what REALLY bothers me? When my husband mysteriously goes AWOL for hours the day before any gift-giving occasion, then days later I stumble across a crumpled up receipt in the console of his car dated the day before whatever gift-giving occasion has just passed. Birthdays and most gift-giving holidays fall on the same day each year. My birthday is February 15; it doesn't change from year to year. It always falls on the day following Valentine's Day (just another reason my husband should NEVER forget my birthday!). The same goes for Christmas - December 25. So you know for 364 days that Christmas will arrive come the 25th of December.

So why on earth does my husband, like many other people, wait 'til the gosh-darn last minute to shop for these occasions?! And of course, for major holidays like Christmas, NOTHING is on sale so that retailers can cash in on those procrastinators like my husband.

So instead of waiting until the very last second to run out to the stores and buy your gifts, start "stockpiling" what you know would be a good fit, gift-wise, for your family and friends.

Target, along with many other retailers, is currently hosting their crazy after-Christmas clearance. Today Target had all of their holiday-related merchandise marked down to 90% off! You pay only 10% of the normal retail! I stocked up on tons of wrapping paper - 90 square feet - for only a quarter! I also picked up a few odds and ends that would make part of a great gift for some of my family.

For instance, I found these really cute Wilton tart pans for only $1.09 that I plan on giving to my sister who loves to bake for her birthday in November. She actually made my wedding cake and all of the cupcakes our guests ate - she's very talented!



I also found a really cute bath-set with a Disney Princess theme for my niece's birthday that's coming up in February. I paid half-price for it and I know she'll love it because she's obsessed with Arial the mermaid.

So while I stocked up on stuff for my own house for next Christmas, I also got a load of goodies to give to others throughout the year, and I paid only a fraction of what I would have had I waited 'til the last minute, like my gosh-darn husband!

Now let's see if I find a receipt dated February 14th for my birthday card... hehe



Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment