Saturday, September 18, 2010

Couponing 101 - Where do I get coupons?

Couponing 101 - Where do I get coupons?



I often get asked, “Where the heck do you get all those coupons?!” I get my plethora of coupons from an assortment of sources.

Sunday paper – While I don’t personally subscribe to my local paper, it is a great source for tons of coupons. In fact, I read somewhere that 90% of all coupons come from the Sunday newspaper. You can even preview specifically what coupons will be issued in the upcoming Sunday paper at WeUseCoupons.

Internet (Printable coupons) – With the evolution of the Internet has come the evolution of couponing. Many manufacturers often offer printable coupons directly from their websites. In addition, there are websites available that hold entire collections of printable coupons that get updated on a monthly or biweekly basis. The following are some of my favorite websites for coupon printing. This does mean you’ll need a printer, plenty of paper and ink. In some instances, if you don’t have a printer, you can click “help” on the coupon print page and request the coupon be mailed to you.
Coupons.com
Redplum.com
Smartsource.com
Betty Crocker
Pillsbury
Boxtops4Education
Very Best Baking

Friends and Family – My mother in law and my husband’s aunt get the Sunday paper every week and almost NEVER use their coupons! While this completely boggles my mind, it proves to be very beneficial because they give me their unused coupons! Ask your family and friends for their coupons – most will be more than happy to give them away.

The Store – This seems almost like a no-brainer, but I can’t tell you how many people have no idea that there are hundreds of coupons at their fingertips in the stores! When I was younger my favorite thing to do when shopping with my mother was pull coupons from the “Blinkie” machine. Years later, I still pull every “blinkie” coupon I find. You can also find me grabbing “peelies,” hangtags and tearpad coupons.
Peelies– coupons attached to the actual product and must be removed by peeling
Blinkies – coupons pulled from a blinking machine
Hangtags – coupon that hangs from the neck of a bottle
Tearpad – coupons attached to a large pad of coupons that you can tear

In the Mail – I sign up for EVERYTHING that is free; newsletters, freebies, samples, coupons, you name it! Tips for signing up for these things will be in a forthcoming post; however, as a result of signing up for these things, I often get coupons in the mail, sometimes ones that are even for FREE products!

Clipping service – I do not personally use a clipping service, but only because I have easy access to more than enough coupons. If there is a high-value coupon that you really wished you had multiples of, you can order the coupons from a clipping service such as The Coupon Clippers. Since it’s illegal to sell coupons, the fees charged are actually for clipping and handling. Usually the fee per coupon is around $.08-$.15.



Want to know if there’s a particular coupon out there in the Coupon World? Use a Coupon Database.

Coupon Database – A coupon database lists current coupons from all sources, including the Sunday paper, blinkies, tearpads, printable coupons, etc. This is a quick way to determine if there is a coupon available for an item you want or need without having to rummage through your coupon pile or search endlessly online. I always use the coupon database at AFullCup.



Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment