Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Season for Giving

How far would you go to provide for your family? I asked a group of my 9th grade students this same question and the range of responses was mind-boggling. Here are some answers: begging, go on TLC's Extreme Couponers, ask for help (food pantry, friend, church, etc.), pinch pennies and curb frivolous spending, rob a bank, sell possessions, get a job (or a 2nd or 3rd)...

I was surprised that stealing wasn't a response, if you don't include robbing a bank as stealing -- robbing a bank seems much more risky than simply stealing what you need from a store.

Anyway, the purpose of my question was to consider all that we currently have, regardless of economic status, because things. could. always. be. worse. Take the families in Australia in the news article I read to my students about mothers stealing food from grocery stores to feed their children because they couldn't afford to buy food on their own. I'm sure this also happens often in the United States, but when I searched for a relevant article, the Australian one was the first to pop up.


It was mighty interesting to have a discussion with 9th graders on just how far some people will go to provide the necessities for the family, and sadly that some people feel they need to go to such extremes to provide for their family.


This is why I am forever grateful for what I do have. I am not rolling in dough, although the public seems to think teachers are (I mean, c'mon.. I drive a beat up '95 Toyota Camry!). But I am extremely rich in terms of the relationships I have with my friends and family. Money simply can't buy that.

I forgot to mention it to my students, but I was amazed  that despite November always feeling frantic and hectic due to the holidays and Black Friday extravaganzas, people still slow down enough to think about the needs of others and give back. One woman who read my article on the Bristol-Warren Patch and who was familiar with my family dropped off a turkey on Monday afternoon. She was inspired by what we were doing to raise money for By God's Grace ministry to put together baskets of food for Thanksgiving. Because of this woman's generosity, my mother and the other ministry members were able to put together one more food basket and give it to a family who wasn't otherwise going to get one.

I can't express enough my heartfelt thanks that woman and to all of you who slow down for a minute or two during the holidays to give back.

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment