Sunday, April 22, 2012

Scrumptious Beer Bread

My husband's away this week, but I still go over my in-laws' house for family dinner Sunday nights. This Sunday we just happen to be celebrating Jon's Uncle Matt's birthday so we're having more than just take out pizza. I've been put in charge of an appetizer.

Months ago I had some delicious beer bread from Tastefully Simple. I wanted to make some of my own so I checked out their prices.... My jaw hit the floor with incredulousness... who the heck can afford to pay $6, $7, $8 for a boxed mix of bread?! I don't even pay that much for an entire meal for my family!

My mission was to find a recipe that tasted just as good but didn't cost an arm and a leg. I succeeded and will be bringing this awesome bread tonight! I typically serve it cut into cubes with some yummy dip. For tonight, I have some store-bought onion dip!

Beer Bread - makes 1 loaf

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour

  • 3 tablespoons sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted (You can reduce to 1/4 cup.)


    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-x-5-x-3-inch loaf pan.
    2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
    3. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
    4. Pour half the melted butter into the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter. Slide a baking sheet onto a lower rack to catch any butter that might overflow from the loaf pan.
    5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.

    Recipe and picture from Ezra Pound Cake.
    Happy Couponing!
    -Coupon Mama Massachusetts

    No comments:

    Post a Comment