Monday, July 30, 2012

Got Zucchini? Make Zucchini Muffins!

I've been reading all over the blog world that people's gardens are booming and as a result they are up to their ears in delicious veggies. This is my second yeard veggie gardening at my own house and things are faring all that well.

My zucchini just don't want to bear fruit. I'm guessing it's a pollination issue and sadly, I'm just not into veggie sex.

Nevertheless, a local farmer down the road has a bountiful crop of zucchini and summer squash that I buy for 3/$.25!!

So now I have zucchini coming out of my ears!

So, I made scrumptious zucchini muffins. Not only do I find them delectable, but it's one more way I can sneak vegetables into my veggie-loathing husband.

Here's a recipe I love using from About.com. My substitutions are in red. And supposedly, if you make them as shown on the original recipe, they are only 172 calories per muffin. Or, if you change things like I do, they're probably more than 1720 calories per muffin! :-)


Low Fat Cooking: Zucchini Muffins
Cook Time: approx 20 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour   I used 2 cups of wheat flour because that's all I have at the moment, but you could totally use 2 cups of all-purpose or whatever combination you like between the two.
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg   I used cinnamon instead; my husband HATES nutmeg.
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini, packed
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest    I omitted this simply because I didn't have it.
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup fat-free milk   
  • 1/3 cup raisins        Instead of raisins and walnuts, I used left over chocolate candy (think leftovers from Easter) that I chopped up into chunks. I'm too cheap frugal to buy chocolate chips!
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases or spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, lemon zest, canola oil, egg and milk, stirring well.

Make a well in the dry ingredients; add zucchini mixture, raisins and walnuts. Stir until just moist. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Per muffin: Calories 172, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.5g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 185mg, Carbohydrate 29g, Fiber 2g, Protein 4g

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment