Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spread the Word to End the Word



I am a special educator at a high school in an urban-ring district in Rhode Island. I have been teaching there for five years and absolutely love my job. I work with all sorts of populations of students with a variety of needs. A common thread among them, sadly, is how flippantly many of them throw around the word retard.

Yo, this test is mad hard. It's friggen retarded.

You didn't know Johnny and Lisa are back together? What are you, a retard?

Those sneakers are wicked retarded - where'd you get 'em, someone's trashcan?

These types of ignorant statements are thrown about at my high school by students on a daily basis. I can't tell you how many times a day I have to politely remind, then meanly reprimand my students that the word retard does not mean ugly or stupid and it certainly isn't appropriate to refer a person as such.

Please join with me to Spread the Word to End the Word.

Check out this video. It made me cry.

Then pledge your support to eliminate the demeaning use of the R-word.



Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment