Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday: Cake Balls

 
Cake Balls
 
Ingredients:
1 box of cake mix (and ingredients to make it)
1 container of frosting
chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips)
shortening
 
 
  1. Bake your cake. Then cut it into cubes. Then crumble then heck out of it. Typically I make a small cake for a purpose (birthday cake, trifle, etc.) and then I use leftover frosting (usually a half a container or so) with half of the original cake I made.
  2.  
  3. Then I mix the cake crumbs with the frosting until it's "doughy." I roll them into blobby balls (whatever size floats your boat), throw them on some wax paper and put 'em in the fridge for a half hour or so to harden up.
  4.  
  5. Then I taken them out of the fridge, roll the blobby balls into better looking balls. I put some chocolate chips and a small scoop of shortening into a microwavable (glass) dish and melt for 20 second increments until melty. DO NOT OVERMELT - your chips will burn!
  6.  
  7. I roll my balls in the chocolatey goodness and put them back on the wax paper and back in the fridge to harden up. If you want to get decorative, you can add sprinkles, powdered sugar or sparkly crystal sugar on top of the chocolate coating before it hardens.


Fancy photo courtesy of AllRecipes (my cake balls never look this aesthetically pleasing!)
 
 
Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment