Friday, January 2, 2015

Saturday Successes & Ozeri Digital Pedometer Review


A few months ago, I posted about my weight loss journey. My journey continues, but I'm excited to say that I'm ringing in the new year 22 pounds lighter than in 2014! I've still got a ways to go which is why I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to review the Ozeri 4x3 Motion Digital Pedometer.



Here are my general likes and dislikes about the product:

Pros:
  • This pedometer is equipped with sleep mode to save battery life. If it doesn't detect movement for 30 seconds or longer, it goes "to sleep." Also great is it comes with its own battery upon purchase along with a tiny screwdriver that you can use when you do have to replace the battery. 
  • You can wear this pedometer around your neck, carry it in a pocket or put it in a bag or purse. I've tried all 3 methods and I've had similar results regardless of how I carry the pedometer.
  • It tracks 7 days worth of data so you can compare your "couch potato" days to your more energetic, athletic days.
  • Comes with a 1 year warranty against manufacturer defects.
  • It keeps track of the date and time so it doubles as a watch!


Cons:
  • The buttons (Set, Mode, Up and Down) protrude from the shell and are subject to being accidentally pressed, which can reset the pedometer and lose all of your stored data.
  • Unless you are diligent about accurately measuring your typical stride, the pedometer will not accurately measure your steps, calories burned and mileage. 
  • Initial set up is the mental equivalent of planning a NASA rocket launch, despite very detailed instructions that included screen shots.

The Ozeri pedometer is really small and thin so it can fit easily in almost any size pocket. It also comes with a lanyard that you can use to wear it around your neck. Upon opening the box, this pedometer is ready to go since a lithium ion battery is included (what a plus!).

However, despite having fairly detailed instructions outlining how to set up your pedometer, I feel like you need a degree in nuclear physics to set it up on the first try. Whatever you do, do not lose the instructions in case you reset your pedometer like I did! If you decide you DO want to reset your data, there is a recessed button "RESET" available for this purpose.


One really great feature is that you can set up the pedometer to measure in American units (lb, in, etc.) or metric units (kg, cm, etc.). This makes it easy to use no matter what country you're from. While hula hooping (yes, I hula hoop with a weighted hula hoop for exercise!), I accidentally changed units from American to metric by pressing the MODE button for too long. This also caused me to lose all of my stored data. I was a few days into using the pedometer at this point and was near tears at my loss.



All in all, I really do enjoy using this pedometer. I haven't yet checked the accuracy of the mileage tracker but I like that I can use the step tracker to compare what I've done from one day to the next.

It's fairly inexpensive compared to the more high-tech options like the Jawbone and the Fitbit. If you simply want to track your steps per day, I'd say the Ozeri pedometer is worth the nominal investment.



Disclaimer: The good folks at Ozeri provided me with a free pedometer to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed herein are 100% my own.

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment