Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Melting Away my Chubby Butt



My weight has always been a battle, constantly yoyoing up and down. I spent my teen years counting calories, concocting ways of making it appear like I was eating just like everyone else so I wasn't questioned and finding ways to burn off what little food I did consume. There were plenty of days during middle school where I subsisted off half a bagel; sometimes I'd even indulge and spread a tablespoon of peanut butter on top!



My battle with my weight wasn't helped by the people I surrounded myself with. A boyfriend from high school used to pinch the skin around my abdomen and cluck that he could "pinch an inch" because it meant I was chubby and he wasn't any "chubby chaser." In addition, no matter what size or shape I was, I always saw, and still do see, a fat slob when I looked in the mirror.

I managed to stay the same size throughout all of college and even through my wild-child days of partying.




However, once I started working full time as a teacher, my energy level drained, my stress level increased exponentially and my level of activity fell to near-zilch. As a result, I packed on the pounds. I jumped from 110 to nearly 140 in a matter of a few months. And at 4'11, it was clearly evident.




In 2011, 8 months before my wedding, I took part in a Biggest Loser competition at my workplace. I partnered with my friend, Jessica, on a team called FUPA Fighters and I lost 11 lbs in 6 weeks through dieting and Zumba'ing 6 days a week. After my years of anorexia and yoyo dieting, I no longer had the will power to deprive myself of foods that I really wanted, so I found ways of making low calorie versions of my favorite foods. SparkPeople was a great resource.






But after my wedding, wedded bliss (and laziness) took over. And I'm once again back to the near-140 lbs I was several years ago.


And to make matters worse, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hips/lower back, making it very painful to run or even walk sometimes.


In January my husband and I bought memberships to a local gym, taking advantage of the New Years promotions. However, a 20 minute drive each way has deterred us from going as often as we'd like. And, as it typically happens, life gets in the way.

But nevertheless, I've set a goal. And I'd like to see how many weeks in a row I can achieve or surpass my goal.

10 miles of cardio per week


My "weeks" start on Saturdays since I often take Fridays off from exercising. This week, I far surpassed my goal already, but will continue to do cardio. After I surpass this goal for an extended time, I'll reassess my goal and increase it.

Saturday - biked 18 miles on East Bay Bike Path (in approx. 2 hours)
Tuesday - ran 3 miles on the elliptical (in 28.5 minutes) walked .5 mile on the treadmill
Wednesday - biked 7.5 miles on local streets (in 45 minutes, including 2 walks up HUGE hills)

Total for week so far: 29 miles of cardio

So wish me luck on continuing to achieve/surpass these goals!


Do you have health or wellness goals?

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

3 comments:

  1. You look beautiful regardless of your weight, but I understand you wanting to get in shape. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Cynthia you look good the wy you are but kudos to being healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyn you've ALWAYS been beautiful, and you still are!! You don't look chubby at all! So even though I hope you learn to love yourself no matter what the scale says, I'm excited for you to try to get healthy through exercise!!

    So here's my current goal: I've never, EVER run before, and I've been training to run a 5k in September! I'm sure we can both motivate each other to stay on top of our goals... and we'll probably see each other at some point on the bike path!

    ReplyDelete