Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nasty Experience Couponing = Backlash from Extreme Couponing Series?

I've only seen last year's episode of Extreme Couponing and then the very first two new episodes that aired a few weeks ago. I babysat very late Wednesday night sadly missed this week's episodes. In any regards, whenever I tell someone that I coupon for a hobby, I always feel it is necessary to give them the disclaimer that I am NOT anything like those people on Extreme Couponing! If I don't tell them this, I get weird looks and questions if I'm a hoarder "like the people on TV."

I had a nasty, nasty experience last week on Wednesday at a store I frequently shop at that perhaps was triggered by all the hysteria surrounding this new television series. Here is my experience:

I work right across the street from a Shaws, which I tend to stop in at at least 3-4 times a week. I've been doing this for the last 3 years I've been working at my current job. I have NEVER had a bad experience that didn't get resolved at this particular store. Most of the employees are pleasant and helpful and they've always been coupon friendly.

On Wednesday I went specifically for a few items but happened to come across a ton of diary clearance, particularly yogurts and ricotta cheese. CRAZY PRICES! I'm talking $.50 for 6 packs of yogurt and so on and so forth. I of course had my huge coupon binder with me and found a few coupons that matched the clearanced prices, making the items free! :-)

After about an hour of shopping I approached the cash registers and went through the Express checkout as I only had about 8-9 items. First and foremost the cashier, Jay, moaned and groaned that my items were on clearance and thus he had to manually ring in each item. I even offered to help him by telling him the quantity of each type of item and the clearance price so he wouldn't have to count himself! He continued to grumble and groan. Then I gave him my coupons. OH MY GOD. You would have thought I was demanding to extract a body part - he threw his hands in the air and exclaimed "I can't take these! You want me to lose my job?"

In the past I have used PLENTY of manufacturer's qs on clearance items at this particular Shaws in addition to another Shaws about 10 minutes away. I explained that in the past the cashier simply had to manually enter the value of the coupon and the fact it was a manufacturer's coupon. He started doing this, then apparently couldn't figure out how to enter anymore coupons, all the while complaining about how he's going to lose his job. He then called over another cashier/bagger, asked her if the store accepted coupons on clearance items, which she didn't know. She called the manager on the phone. Apparently the manager said that no, the store did not accept coupons on markdowns.

In the meantime, the checkout line had grown 4-5 people deep. I asked the cashier to void my order, give me back my coupons and get the manager as I'd like to speak with him but not while holding up other customers who were growing impatient. The cashier ignored me and continued whining about my use of coupons.

Eventually the manager came over and insisted the cashier void my order, which is what I had asked him to do to begin with. The manager's name is Steve C. While he was polite, he certainly was not in the mindset that the customer is always right and it is important to please the customer. Steve explained that the store didn't allow coupons on clearance items because the store "would not get recooped" for the coupon value. I asked him if that was what was stated in the store's coupon policy. He said "off the top of my hand, I don't know." So I asked to see a copy of the coupon policy, which Steve did not have. (How does a store who is supposed to be following a policy not have a copy of the policy?.... Moreover, how does the head of the store/manager not KNOW the policy????)

Anyway, I then asked for the phone number for the corporate office. I called right in front of the manager and spoke with Adam who read to me the policy over the phone and concurred with me that nothing stated that the store could not accept coupons on clearance or mark down products. I told Steve this and offered him the phone to speak with the CSR, but he declined and continued to reiterate he would not accept my coupons.

After leaving the store with at least my dignity in tact but without my items that I had been planning on donating to my mom who passes out food to people she knows are too embarrassed to ask for help, I called the corporate number again and filed a formal complaint. I was told by Phil at corporate that someone would email me copies of the coupon policy, which they did. I now have a copy of the Massachusetts store policy and the Rhode Island store policy. And, of course, I was right about the policy to begin with - it says nothing about not accepting coupons on markdowns!

I was also told I would be getting a call from the director of the store within 24 hours. I never received any phone call or voicemail message. I waited until yesterday afternoon and then I filed a complain with the Better Business Bureau.

Of course an hour in checkout and 2 20-minute long phone conversations might seem excessive, but to me it is the principle of things. If a store has a policy set in place, then it should be FOLLOWING the policy.... how many other customers have been told they can't use a coupon for one reason or another and never questioned it? Most importantly, if there's a policy in place, shouldn't the employees, particularly the man-in-charge, be well versed in the policy?!?!



Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama

6 comments:

  1. Is it possible for you to look at it from their point of view? Making absolutely no money from you plus keeping paying customers inline.. you want the fast lane and you want it for free.. 8-9 items takes an hour ... was it 8-9 different types of items but multiple of each item? why not go to a slow lane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really doesn't matter as far as i read the line got long based on the fact that people get jobs they don't like. Then whine and get upset with customers. As i read as well as i imagine you did Mike she did ask to cancel the order a manager could've open a closed lane and done the transaction since it was going to come out free. So for closing dont get a job u dont like or aren't prepared for. No reason people/customers/patients need to suffer thru the fact u didnt get a better job for not going to college. SIMPLE AS THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo, I sparked a debate!

    #1. I got in the "fast lane" as you put it, Mike, because I was chauffeured there by whoever was in charge at the front of the store because only the "fast lane" and 1 other lane was open at this time during the day.

    #2. I don't feel bad for people who work as cashiers. I worked as cashier. I made crap for money - minimum wage. Regardless of how much of any asshole any of my customers were, I always treated them respectfully and politely.

    #3. The store does not LOSE money by customers redeeming manufacturer's coupons. The manufacturer reimburses the store for coupons redeemed. The store loses money when they opt to include doubling/tripling as part of their coupon policy. I don't make the coupon policies - I simply follow them.

    #4. Despite having multiples of several items, I did not have over the 12 limit of the express checkout.

    :-)

    And I scored a $25 gift card to the store, plus an apology letter from the REAL Store Manager.

    I win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you sticking to your guns. I too have found many more cashiers and managers giving customers attitude regarding coupon usage.

    I agree that there is no reason to do so since yes they are paid for the value of the coupon plus a processing fee. And in some cases, such as where the coupon was for a $1.00 and the item cost only $.90 and they only gave the $.90, they actually make money on them. And if stores didn't want us redeeming coupons, then why do their circulars (including Shaws) highlight when a sale item has a coupon in "this Sunday's paper".

    I'm sure when the hype about the "extreme" couponers dies down, we will once again be able to just use the coupons and not deal with accusations of hoarding. I don't have a huge stockpile, but I have enjoyed the luxury of getting name brand items at the same price as the generics and not having the emergency run to the market after work for toilet paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, I found your comment extremely offensive. "No reason people/customers/patients need to suffer thru the fact u didnt get a better job for not going to college. SIMPLE AS THAT."

    Can you not be so quick to judge? I am currently IN college, trying to give myself a better future and I need to work a part time job to get by. Don't think just because people who work in retail gave up on life/is not doing something productive with their life. Also, I know plenty of college grads who have to stay at these types of jobs because of the bad job market and have even seen middle age people applying/NEEDING a job like this because they were laid off from the job they went to college for. So instead of placing judgement, why not respect people for trying to make it through life and feel lucky that you have a job. I can't stand to help (but I have to in order to be a good employee) people that make me feel like dirt for having a part-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I have been brought up, you should do the best job You can at whatever job you are doing; whether as a cashier, a janitor, a secretary, a doctor, or a lawyer. There's no excuse for behaving as this cashier did. I don't think it was a slam to anyone; especially anyone who is doing their job correctly. When in customer service, you Don'T complain about servicing them.

    ReplyDelete