Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday: Crockpot Chourico & Peppers


I'm half French, which is where my maiden name, Lachapelle, comes from. But most of the rest of me is Portuguese. My mom's side of the family is extremely invested in their Portuguese heritage and this shines through their food. Luckily, we also live in an area where there is a large population of people who are Portuguese. As a result, you don't have to go very far to find some great Portuguese food like mozambique, biscuitos, and chourico and peppers.

Now chourico is not produced chour-ee-co. It's actually should-eeees. Don't get it confused with the Spanish style sausage chourizo -- that's very different!

Here's an easy way to make chourico and peppers and not have to slaver over a saucepot on your range for hours.

Crockpot Chourico and Peppers, adapted from Allrecipes.com


Ingredients
1 pound chourico sausage, casings removed and crumbled (I used ground chourico)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I had some already chopped and frozen)
1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped (I only had yellow onions)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (I only had a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes - I used the whole can)
1/2 cup red wine (I used chicken stock made with a boullion cube)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons crushed garlic (I used garlic powder)
 
Directions           
In a slow cooker, combine the sausage, green pepper, onion, tomato paste, wine, water, and crushed garlic.
Stir so that everything is evenly distributed.
Cover, and set on Low. Cook for 8 hours.
Uncover the pot, and cook an additional 2 hours to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
Serve over rice, or with Portuguese rolls.
 

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment