Thursday, July 16, 2015

Thrifty Thursday: Fixing a Shark Steam Mop



Years ago, I got in on a Groupon deal for a Shark steam mop. My husband didn't feel like our Swiffer mop was disinfecting to his standards, so we made the $30 investment. And it was a good investment as it's lasted for over 4 years, but lately its steaming power was waning until it finally stopped squirting steam through the bottom altogether.

I was ready to toss it in the garbage when I had the idea to Google search the problem. What the heck did I ever do without Google?! 

I found many people had a similar issue, apparently a result of calcifying water, so I researched possible methods to rectify the problem.

In the end, I decided to run by Home Depot and pick up some CLR. A few hours later, lo and behold, our Shark steam mop works like a charm!




Here's what I did:

1. Unplugged and in the bathtub or outside, pour a 1:1 ratio of water to CLR into the mop. Shake it around and let sit for several hours.

2. Plug in the mop. Once heated, shake around again and try "using" it (in the bath tub or outside). I do not recommend trying to do this on your actual floor. I had a bunch of small, solid, black looking grit that poured out of my mop.

3. So long as you're getting steam out of the mop, continue to "steam" until all of the CLR/water mixer is gone. 

4. Fill the mop with water (or vinegar) and steam again until it is empty. Your mop should be as good as new!



Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment