Friday, February 3, 2012

Superbowl Menu

To be honest, I couldn't care less about football. However, my husband's family eats, breathes and lives football. Sunday Dinner is no longer Sunday Dinner during football season. Instead, it's become everyone crowd around the television and scream at the men who run across the screen while trying to inhale delivery pizza and throw back beers.

The most amusing part of this obsession with football, particularly with this year's Superbowl lineup, is my mother-in-law and brother-in-law are diehard Giants Fans, while the rest of the Shannon clan are diehard Pats fans... And I don't mean the polite, root for your own team and be a good sport kinda fans. I'm talking the get-in-your-face, screaming and gloating kinda fans.

The night of the Pats/Giants respective play-off games I thought an all-out brawl was going to happen.

Somehow through it all, my husband and I ended up volunteering to host a Superbowl party for his friends. This is a bonus for both of us. Jon loves parties and his friends. I love cooking and baking.

Here's a run down of my current menu plan, including some great frugal finds I picked up over the last few weeks.

2 Helluva Good onion dips (clearanced for $.75 each and I had a $1/2 coupon) = $.25 ea!
-I will use one of the dips with chips
-I will use the other dip with this super yummy Beer Bread

1 Athenos Roasted Garlic hummus (clearanced to $.99)
-I will use these with baby carrots and celery sticks (I got a 2 lb bag of baby carrots for $.50 and a package of celery for $.50, both on clearance at Shaws)

1 Paresan Artichoke Jalapeno Dip
-I will use this with chips

3 bags of Wise Chips - at one point these were buy 1, get 2 free!

2 bags of Perdue boneless wings (I paid a ridiculous $5.99/bag, but my husband begged for these)

Nachos
-I found Perdue ground chicken for $2.99 and it had a $1.50 sticker, so I paid $1.49 for a pound!)
-I turn the ground chicken into sloppy joe/sloppy janes, then toss it on top of tortilla chips, throw some cheese and salsa on top and voila! (I got the salsa for only $1!)

Pepperoni Stromboli


And I plan on doing more, but my husband's not home to finalize our menu!

Happy Couponing!
-Coupon Mama Massachusetts

8 comments:

  1. so how did your family took the giants win?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my husband's behavior, you would have thought a nuclear missile hit New England.... he was distraught and overcome, near tears!

    It was beyond hysterical! It's just a game!!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I need some assistance with the couponing world. I live in Marlborough, Ma and am looking to find a store that doubles coupons all the time. Price Chopper only does this randomly. A friend of mine got started by having someone she found online fix a list for her so she could watch and do it. Im also a hands on kind of person but non of my friends around here do it. Any Ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Carrienead!

    I do most of my shopping at Shaws, Stop & Shop and Price Rite.

    Shaws and Stop & Shop double coupons up to $.99 unless the coupon says "do not double." I've found if you go through self-check out and the coupon UPC# starts with a 5, it will automatically double even if it says "do not double."

    I work right across the street from all 3 stores, so I stop by on my way home from work nearly every day (not really a gas waster because it's right there!). I hit up every corner of the store where I know they keep their clearance items. I also have noticed that Tuesdays have the best clearance at Shaws and that mornings are best for Stop & Shop (they have clearance meats and produce, but not very good clearance grocery/toiletry items).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for my ignorance. Im a newbie and am SOOO interested in it. I just feel no so smart when it comes to how to actually do this for some reason. So, you mean it doubles up to .99, meaning, I have a coupon for $1.00 and they will double it to 1.99? Is there any groups around here to work with? Im in marlborough and would LOVE to meet some people who are just as interested and figure this out before they put an end to it completely. I feel as though I have TONS of coupons but no clue how to do this. By the way, thank you so much for replying so quickly and giving me the info you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just glad to hear people are interested in learning how to live more frugally!!

    Coupons UP TO $.99 will be doubled, so if you had a coupon for $.75, it would double and actually take off $1.50. Coupons worth $1 or more will not double. There are rare cases when Stop & Shop and Shaws have "doubler coupons" in the flyer. In these cases, there's usually a minimum you have to spend (typically $15) and then you can double any coupon worth $1 if you also include the cut-out doubler coupon from their flyer.

    This was popular early in 2011 but I haven't seen it at all this year.

    I'm from the Dighton area, so I'm not familiar with where Marlborough is.

    I'm going to try to get better at posting coupon match ups for Shaws & Stop & Shop, but it's hard as i'm a full time teacher and my blogging is just a hobby at the moment! :-)

    Check out my Coupon 101 at the top of this blog. Some of the short articles might be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...Dighton? Never even heard of that town. Im near Framingham, Ma. Westborough, etc. Do you know how to find groups? Or where they do do match ups? Thank you so much for being so fast at your replies, Ive asked a few people and dont get a reply. I also work 40+ hours a week so im BURNED out by the time I get home, Im just so interested in learning this and having it be 2nd nature and a nitch in life. Its so needed. Just got married and we are saving for our 1st home but so anything helps. I want a stock pile!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. It just look like so much fun. Im going to check out your 101 section now. If you know of anyone in this area, let them know im looking and interested in trying this together.

    ReplyDelete