Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Couponing 101

Coupons 101

Tip #1. Always know your store's coupon policy and bring a hard copy just in case. Cashiers usually don't have a clue as to their own store's coupon policy, so it's always better to be safe than sorry and to carry a copy of their policy. It's never any fun to pay more than you should or to have to ask the cashier void out items because they won't accept your coupon(s).

Here is a list of some of the more popular stores and their coupon policies:

Walmart

Target

Stop and Shop

Safeway

Meijer (at bottom of site)

Family Dollar

BJs

Dollar General


Tip #2. BUY 2 for $4.00 -- Oftentimes sales that advertise buy X for $X.XX do not require you to buy X of the item for the sale price. For example, if cookies are on sale 2/$4.00, you can usually buy 1 package for $2.00. I see this often at Shaws during their 10 for $10 sale - do you really need 10 boxes of Rice O'Roni or 10 bottles of Softsoap?

Tip #3. Buy 1 get 1 free sales -- when stores offer buy 1 get 1 free sales, you can use 2 coupons - 1 for each of the items you are purchasing. This is a great way to get free or nearly free items! If you are lucky enough to have a coupon for a "free" item, you can use pair it with a buy 1 get 1 free sale to get 2 free items! If you're really brave and you have a "free" coupon as well as a $ off 1 coupon, you can try to use both coupons with the buy 1 get 1 free sale for a -$ amount. Beware that it will "ding" at some stores so be ready to "play dumb."

Tip #4. Unannounced sales -- many store have additional items on sale than what is advertised in the weekly flyers. When I do my weekly shopping, I always peruse all of the aisles, looking for clearance stickers or sale signs.

Tip #5. Always have your coups!! -- My philosophy is to always have my coupons at hand regardless of where I'm going. I don't leave the house without them. I can't count the number of times I've been shopping for a specific item and have come across other items at unbelievable clearance prices and I have a coupon or two to make the items even cheaper (if not free)!!

If you have any other couponing tips, leave a comment and I'll add the tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment